Over the next two weeks we will be doing some Design and Technology with a focus around cooking and nutrition!
Your DT challenge is to design, make and evaluate a healthy meal (sandwich, roll, wrap or pitta) for your families for lunch boxes.
- Must be a healthy option with at least 2 vegetables / items of salad
We would like you to:
- Explore: Begin by exploring a range of rolls / sandwiches / wraps or pittas. What lunchtime options are currently available to you? What do you have in your lunchboxes across a week? If we were doing this at school, we would be designing an extra option for the school packed lunch meals, so you may want to consider what is currently available to children having a school packed lunch. What salad / vegetables are available?
- Look up café options online or sandwiches / rolls available to buy at a local shop.
- Pick up, smell and taste some different packed lunch options. What words can we use to describe the shape, colour, feel, taste?
- Evaluate: Can you evaluate some existing products to determine what you/your user like best? What do you prefer and why? What might we want to include in our product to meet our user’s preferences? Which fillings and salad items / vegetables might be the best for our product to match the occasion/purpose? Will you include meat / fish / dairy items?
- Explore: Talk with your families about basic food hygiene practices when handling food. E.g. What should we do before we work with food?
- Explore: Talk with your families about the utensils/equipment and techniques you might need to use. Practice the skills you will need to create your final product e.g. washing, spreading, slicing, grating.
- Explore the Eatwell plate with your families. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/the-eatwell-guide/ Can you fill in your own? Why is it important for us to have food from different food groups?
- Design: Draw and label a plan of your product. THINK: What will you need? What salad/vegetables will you need? How much will you need? How will you present the product? Remember your design criteria including the likes and dislikes of the person you are making it for!
- Make your product.
- Evaluate your final product. Does it meet your purpose? Does your user like it? What would you do differently next time/what could you change to make your final product better?
Here is some Key Vocabulary which you and your family might want to consider throughout your project: names of products, equipment, utensils, techniques and ingredients, texture, taste, appearance, cook, fresh, grown, frozen, tinned, processed, seasonal, savoury, healthy/varied diet, hygienic.
You might like to watch the BBC bitesize food clips: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/z3crd2p
Please email pictures of your finished products to firstname.lastname@example.org