This week, in phonics, we are beginning our recap of our phase 3 digraphs and we will be focusing on ch, sh, th and ng.
ch (as in chair)
sh (as in shop)
th (as in thin)
ng (as in wing)
- Show your child the sheet. Ask them to segment and blend each word to read it. Segmenting is when we separate the sounds in the word like a robot e.g. sh i p and blending is when we put the sounds back together to read the word e.g. ship.
- Ask them to draw a line from the word to the matching picture. If you are not able to print off the sheet, ask your child to point to the matching picture.
- Challenge: Can you spell your own word to match one of the pictures? You can write this on the sheet, in your work book or on a piece of paper.
- Can you find anything in your house that starts with or has a sh, ch, th or ng sound in it? You could draw a picture, label it and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can you put some of your ch, sh, th and ng words in a sentence e.g. The shop was shut. You can write your sentences on the sheet, in your work book or on a piece of paper.